BKS Account LTD

Paying Corporation Tax

Paying Corporation Tax – How to do it!

How to pay Corporation Tax

You need to pay your Corporation Tax every year nine months and one day after the end of the accounting period using the Corporation Tax reference number. Daily interest will be charged if payment is made late.

Tax Reference

What is my 17 digit tax reference?

Tax Reference Explained

Your 17 digit tax reference is your Corporation Tax UTR number (this is a 10 digit number.), followed by A001 then a further 3 digits (2 numbers followed by 1 letter). The last 3 digits are determined by which accounting period you are paying i.e. 01A is the first year filed, 02A 2nd year and so on.

HMRC Bank Account

HMRC’s bank account details for Corporation Tax – the same as for PAYE NIC and CIS

Pay HMRC Cumbernauld or Shipley

Payments need to be directed to either Cumbernauld or Shipley.

Your Corporation Tax bill will tell you whether to make a payment to Cumbernauld or Shipley. However if you do not have this information opt for Cumbernauld.

Your responsibility, as a company director, is to pay Corporation Tax and file the form CT600 Company Tax Return. There is no penalty for paying the wrong office and you can expect your funds to be correctly allocated if you provide the right reference number.

Bank details for HMRC Cumbernauld

Sort code: 08 32 10
Account number: 12001039
Account name: HMRC Cumbernauld

Shipley Accounts Office references

Sort code: 08 32 10
Account number: 12001020
Account name: HMRC Shipley

Credit card and debit card fee
You will be charged a non-refundable fee if you pay by Corporate debit or credit card.

There is no fee if you pay by a personal debit card. You cannot pay using a personal credit card.

HMRC Helpline

HMRC Business Payment Support Service Help Line

Payment Plan

You may be able to set up a Time to Pay Arrangement with HMRC if you are unable to pay your Corporation Tax in full on time. This will allow you to spread the cost of your tax bill by paying the amount due in instalments.

How you do this depends on whether you’ve received a payment demand. If you have, call the HMRC offce that sent you that letter.

If you have not received a bill or letter, call the Payment Support Service (PSS).

0300 200 3835

The offices are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.